Sunday 25 September 2011

Book: "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

I had heard of this book but did nto know much about it, thinking it was just another diet book. Then I found out it was much more than that. It was a book for the vegan diet and lifestyle, so being a vegan, I read this book cover to cover, with 80 pages down in one day. The book is presented in a 'chick non-lit' kind of way, appealing to women's concerns and dare I say vanity, in a strive to be thin and gorgeous. But this is just a ploy by the authors to draw in a readership who might otherwise never thought of a vegan lifestyle as something for them.
The authors talk about the very real evils of factory farming, and pull no punches about the evils of a lot industry and govt groups that are out there to make a buck at your health's expense, the environment, and animals.
I like the way they tell it like it is. My one criticism is that the string language they sometimes use may put some readers off. I hope it didn't and if you consider reading this book, (please DO), push past the use of strong language and take in the information and the messages within.
I also like the way the authors say 'skinny' but not 'scrawny'. As someone who is a vegan, I get very very tired of listening to meat eaters complaining how they can;t lose weight and commenting on how thin I am. Cut the meat, the eggs and especially the dairy, replace it with lots of plant based food stuffs, and you will look better, feel better, do more for the environment than you could even comprehend, and TRULY call yourself an animal lover and not just a 'selective' animal lover ie cats, dogs, etc.
READ THIS BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment