Sunday 4 November 2012

Recipe: Turkish everyday beans


Another recipe from the book “Veggiestan” by Sally Butcher.  This one is pretty easy to make but I found that it didn’t make much, so I have doubled the amount of beans to use. You can do the same with the other ingredients if you wish. Also, I use canned beans because I am lazy. If you do this,  expect the beans to break down a bit or otherwise add them in a little later to the rest of the ingredients. Also, I used far less lemon juice than what the original recipe asks for, as I felt the juice of 2 lemons would be way too much, but use your own judgement on that, of course.
This dish tastes good hot, cold or room temperature – on its own or with a salad or stir fried tofu.

What you will need:
2 x 400g cans of cannellini beans (or haricot)
1 onion, finely diced (optional)
3 sticks of celery, finely diced
2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 large potato, peeled and finely diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
A few sprigs of fresh parsley

Method:
On medium high heat, heat the oil and add onions, celery and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add potatoes and garlic and after a minute of stirring constantly, add ½ cup water and stir in beans.
Turn heat down to low and cook for about 15-20 minutes, to that the potato is cooked.
Add lemon juice and parsley. Serve.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for this one ... I currently have Veggiestan on loan from the library and went straight to this recipe looking for a quick Sunday night feed. I added Moroccan flavours in the form of a nice harissa I bought at a market and some preserved lemons I made last year. The result was really tasty ... and I really loved the lemoniness. Quick, filling, tasty and versatile. Great recipe

    ReplyDelete