Wednesday 30 July 2014

Quinoa Salad with Fennel and White Beans in a Light Lemon Vinaigrette

I came across this recipe a while ago, whilst looking through “Spork-Fed : Super fun and Flavorful vegan recipes for the Sisters of Spork Foods” by Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg. I wanted to try in straight away but had two stumbling blocks. Firstly, I could not for the life of me find German mustard. I am not much of a mustard eater but remember years ago, having some by Masterfoods. I looked through two different supermarket chains and could not find it. After some online investigation, I found out that Masterfoods discontinued that variety. I found that quite astounding. Anyway, check out the international/import food stores and you should find some there.
My next challenge was the fennel. It was out of season and so was either hard to find or very small and very expensive. I decided that I would wait until winter when fennel is in season and easy to find. Oh, and the bulbs are big and lush.
I simplified and tweaked the original recipe to suit me.

What you will need:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and boiled in 2 cups water until the liquid is absorbed (You can use a mix of colours if you want – red, white, black – it doesn’t matter)
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 large fennel bulb, finely chopped
1 tbsp agave syrup
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp German mustard
1 tsp cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
A big bag of salad greens

Method:
This is really easy.
Throw all of the ingredients together and toss! You can season with salt and black pepper if you wish. Serve it warm.
I found this makes a meal size quantity for 2 people or as a side dish for 4 people.




2 comments:

  1. Is the German mustard powder or liquid? I'm a bit obsessed with getting some now! There's an online German shop in Australia so I might make an order ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the liquid kind that you buy in glass jars.

      Delete