Wednesday 28 January 2015

Cauliflower and Potato Curry

Another low fat recipe I found in The New McDougall Cookbook by John and Mary McDougall. I have been concentrating on low fat recipes lately. My interested started purely for weight loss issues but then in December I had to have my gallbladder removed. Once that happened, I had even more incentive to cut back on my fat intake. So here I am, learning how to cook and eat without the use of vegetable oils. I have found that it hasn’t been all that hard, once you learn a few techniques and substitutions. Oh, and the food still tastes good!
I am sharing this recipe because I loved it!  So full of flavour and very filling! Just serve over a bed of steamed brown rice.

What you will need:
1 large onion, chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
¼ cup water
1 tbsp cumin
Dash or two chili powder
1-2 tsp curry powder
4 cups vegetable stock
1 cup brown lentils
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 cup frozen peas
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander

Method:
Place the onion and garlic in a large pot with water and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Add spices and stir. Add vegetable stock and lentils. Mix and bring to boil and then reduce heat, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.

Add tomatoes, potatoes, cauliflower, and carrot. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir in peas and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment