Thursday 25 April 2013

Swan Valley Cafe - Italian flavours menu

Recently, my partner and two friends went out to dinner at the Swan Valley Cafe, on a Friday night. We had the set menu which was Italian themed, and included an entree, a main and a dessert, with vegan and gluten free options - all for $45 a head.

For the entree, there was a choice of Pea and Basil Soup, served with a garlic rubbed gluten free vegan dinner roll OR Avocado and Olive Bruschetta, which was also gluten free and vegan.

All but one of our group opted for the bruschetta. It was by far the best I have ever tasted! Packed with olives, avocado, capsicum, cherry tomatoes and herbs, all on gluten free bread. My partner loved it so much that I am sure he would have been happy to have just eaten a few slices more of that for his dinner - it was that good!
One of our party had the Pea and Basil Soup and reported that it was very tasty, indeed. See photo below.
For the main, the choice was between Tempeh Lasagna with a green side salad, or Pumpkin Risotto with a green side salad. Both were vegan and gluten free. I opted for the former, even though I often find that tempeh does not quite agree with me, for some reason. Turned out that I was pleasantly surprised as this dish gave me no problems at all. It was rich with a gorgeously creamy white sauce on top. I have no idea what it was made of (my guess is perhaps cashews) but you would have been hard pressed to better it or realize that it was not animal based.
For dessert, I had a slice of a very rich, very dark chocolate cake, topped with a sort of almond toffee crisp. The base was of a biscuity type, that you often see in cheesecakes.  The cake was so smooth, so creamy, that it almost felt like I was eating chocolate mousse, instead. On the side was a small amount of cashew cream, that went with the cake beautifully. Here is a photo. I wish I had managed to take a better one, to do it justice!
We have heard that these themed set menus change from time to time, with Morrocan, Spanish, and Mexican being offered  on some Friday nights. I would suggest keeping an eye on their Facebook page or website to keep abreast on which theme is offered on which Friday night. Also note that within each theme, what is offered on the night, might vary. I noticed that what we had on this particular Italian themed night, varies a bit from what is offered on an upcoming one.

No comments:

Post a Comment