Sunday 29 January 2012

Recipe: Curried Rice Salad

Wow. Just tried out this super easy recipe last night and have to say that it will be a firm favourite in my household.
I lifted this one out of Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook by Kim Barnouin.
What caught my eye about this recipe is 1. It includes rice - I love rice! 2. Gluten free. 3. Easy peasy to make  4. All of the above!
I have altered the recipe just a little but have not strayed too far from the original in the book.

What you will need:
2 cups of uncooked rice, either boiled or cooked in a rice cooker (I did the latter). You can use Basmati or Jasmine rice. Jasmine is my all time fave.
1 carrot, grated
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup diced cucumber
8 basil leaves, finely chopped (you can use a pinch of the dried stuff but the fresh leaves taste better)
half a cup of vegan mayonnaise. (I use Organic Safflower Oil Mayonnaise by Melrose which I found at a health food shop. There are other vegan mayos out there that you can use.)
1 tbsp agave nectar (again, found in health food shops)
1 tbsp tamari (available in supermarkets in the health food section)
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp olive oil

Method:
In a large bowl, combine cucumber, carrot, peas and basil. Add cooked rice and mix.
In another bowl, whisk together mayo, tamari, agave, vinegar, curry powder and oil. Add to the rice and vegetable mixture and toss.



I was a bit concerned that the peas would not thaw out properly but they did from the heat of the just cooked rice. The end result is a slightly sweet, delicious salad that is filling but not 'heavy'. Perfect for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment