Saturday 7 January 2012

Swan Valley Cafe - Millendon, Perth

Last weekend, a group of vegan friends and I went for breakfast at the Swan Valley Cafe, after we heard various good reports from other vegans and vegetarians.

The cafe is a vegetarian one but it does cater to vegans and we discovered the chef who was cooking for us that day was a vegan, herself. From the front, the venue isn't all that impressive but when you step inside, it is quite nice. There are blended teas for sale, raw desserts, plus vegan/gluten free/vegetarian books for sale, amongst a few other items. As you venture further in, there is a nice indoor dining area and beyond that, a large outdoor dining space. We opted to sit outside as it was such lovely weather. There is a plant nursery attached to the property on the side, so it made a lovely green environment to sit in.

We ordered some drinks first and I opted for the slushie which was a mixture of watermelon, banana and strawberries. It was delicious and very refreshing.

The breakfast menu has a few gluten free options which was great for me. I ordered the buckwheat pancakes with blueberries which are one of my favourite fruits. Normally, buckwheat does not agree with me (I have tried buckwheat pasta) but I had no problem with these pancakes. They were thick and tasty and came with delicious cashew cream and maple syrup.
Others at the table tried out a few of the other vegan breakfast options such as the Spicy Mexican Scrambled Tofu, Spicy Homemade Beans, and the Big Breakfast. 


After our meals, we had a look around in the plant nursery which had all sorts of plants from herbs, to shrubs, to vegetables. And the prices were very reasonable.

I would definitely like to go back to this cafe, perhaps for lunch or dinner next time.

For details of their address, opening hours and menus, check out their website.

7 comments:

  1. I'm happy to have found the recipes to your fabulous flickr photos!
    Thank you for sharing. I'm always interested in tasty and fanciful vegan meals. Love and a happy 2012 from Dresden, Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nyum! Hey this book: The Tipsy Vegan by John Schlimm, came through the library last week - heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of going back there for my b'day and asking you and Liz and some other friends along. More Details when they come to hand :) No, not heard of that book! Will have to see if Marcus can get it for me from public lib system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds cool. The book has just gone on display at Subiaco Library and I'm pretty sure that it's a state stock item.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guy's have you heard about the new Friday night set menu at Swan Valley Cafe. They have a new additions to the menu every week and always have a vegan options like fattoush salad chilli beans and funky apple crumble with cashew cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I wasn't aware. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete