Sunday 19 February 2012

Cafe: Veggie Mama

On my birthday, my partner and I headed down to Veggie Mama for lunch. I had heard lots of good things about this place by other vegans and it was not very far from where I live. We were glad we went, as the food was delicious and the staff friendly and helpful. I found that I actually had trouble choosing what to have, as there were so many options that were suitable for vegans - not something I am use to when eating out in Perth!

I ended up opting for a salad that contained coconut and cranberries. I usually do not favour salads with fruit in them but I thought I would break out of old habits and try something different. I am glad I did. Yes, it had a sweetness to it, but it wasn't overpowering and the other elements of the salad to counter balanced it.
With the salad, I had a mushroom, walnut and quinoa patty which was unbelievably flavoursome! Hands down the best patty I have had in ages, with a great texture, to boot.


 My partner had a rice and lentil patty with a rice salad which I of course, had to sample. And because he was so hungry, he also ordered a Mexican Bean Filo Parcel which was very tasty, indeed. me thinks next time we go in, I shall be ordering that for myself!

My one little suggestion for this cafe concerns their labeling. Their menu marks out which dishes are gluten free, which is great, and which do not contain egg and dairy. My suggestion would be to mark which items are suitable for vegans. Although 'egg and dairy free' covers most of it, there is the issue of honey.

For a full menu, you can check out their Facebook page.

They are located at the corner of Beaufort and Vincent Streets, Mount Lawley.
Their opening hours are Monday - Friday : 7am to 7pm, Saturday - Sunday 8am-5pm


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm... Mexican bean filo parcel - my favourite BUT... next time you go there, you MUST try the potato and tofu coconut curry - it is AWESOME! They are great for take-aways too and their coffee is above average.

    ReplyDelete