Saturday 2 June 2012

Magazine: Living Vegan (Autumn 2012)

Back last November, I got my hands on the very first issue of this Australian publication. Since then, my partner purchased a subscription to it and the second issue arrived in the mail.

Like the first issue, I read this cover to cover and studied all the ads carefully to see what was new. I read about vegan athletes (yes, including body builders) and was very impressed. Talk about blowing the lank vegan weakling image out of the water! "Where do you get your protein?" - has never before been a dumber question to ask a vegan!

I also read about vegan tattoos - not designs, but the actual issue of inks and after care being vegan. Turns out quite a bit out there is NOT vegan, so you need to do your homework first. Although I have no future plans to get inked, at least now I am informed, in case I do want to be!

I got a little thrill from seeing a photo of some of my friends in the nationwide wrap up of the vegan festivals that happened around Australia late last year. So good to see so much going on!

The helpful Vegan Cheat Sheet was back, with some new additions. The Recipe Corner had my mouth watering (especially the 'Coconut Creme Brulee' - will have to give that one a go!)

Also in this issue is an article written by a participant in the opposition of the opening of duck shooting season in Victoria. Sad, dangerous and harrowing at times. The article gives the reader a first hand perspective of what goes on there, year after year, and an appreciation of what these brave people are up against.

Of course, there is much more in this issue. If you are interested in getting your hands on a copy, check out Living Vegan Magazine online for subscription details or, if you are in Western Australia, you can become a member of member of Animal Rights Advocates and receive a subscription as part of your membership.

I can't wait for the next issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment