Tuesday 26 June 2012

Recipe: Chunky Mexican bean stew


This has to be one of the most delicious and filling stews I have ever had. I used a Cajun spice mix for this, put you can use a Mexican chilli mix. The red lentils give this recipe a nice, hearty thickness. I cannot for the life of me remember where I got this recipe from, so my apologies for that – I always like to reference material I use, being the good little librarian, that I am.

What you will need:
1 tin of kidney beans (400g approx)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
1 stock of celery, finely chopped
6 tomatoes, diced or 2  x 400g tins
2 cups water
1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
1 zucchini, diced
1 carrot, diced
Fresh coriander, chopped
1 tbsp Cajun or Mexican chili powder

Method:
In a large pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions until lightly browned. Add garlic and celery and sauté for a few minutes. Add tomatoes, water, lentils, zucchini,  carrot and Cajun/Mexican chili powder.
Bring to boil and then lower heat to simmer. Stir regularly. Cook for approx 15 minutes or until lentils are cooked and vegetables are tender.
Garnish with fresh coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment