Saturday 7 July 2012

Recipe: Country House Soup


Where I got this recipe from is a mystery to me, but what I can tell you is that it is delicious, easy and chunky, with root vegetables forming the basis of it.

What you will need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped (optional)
3 carrots, cut into chunks
1 large turnip, cut into chunks
1 large swede , cut into chunks,
1 parsnip, cut into chunks
1-2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp dried oregano
Half tsp dried marjoram
Half tsp dried basil
1.5 litres of vegetable stock
1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
Half cup dried small macaroni ( I use gluten free)
1 can (400g) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Method:
Heat oil in a large pan and add onion, cooking over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the vegetables, canned tomatoes, tomato puree and dried herbs.
Pour in stock and bring to boil. Stir, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and bring to boil, stirring and then simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes, so the pasta is cooked.  Add beans and cook fir further 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add parsley. Serve hot.


I have topped my bowl of soup with a product called Rawmesan which is a vegan version of Parmesan. It is made by Gopal's Healthfoods, of which I have blogged about before. Their Rawmesan is delicious on soups and gives that cheesy flavour. It is gluten free and although it is not cheap, it will last you quite a while. I got mine from Alive Organics.

No comments:

Post a Comment