Sunday 10 July 2011

Recipe: Ribollita

This is a Tuscan soup that often tastes even better the next day. I use my slow cooker for this one. If you don't have one yet, seriously consider getting one, as slow cooking is often simple and the method really brings out the flavours.

What you will need: 
2 tins of cannellini beans (approx 800g)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (approx 400g)
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced diagonally
1 quarter cabbage, thinly shredded
approx 300g potatoes (I use desiree) cut into 1cm dice
1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
2 tb sp tomato puree
2 tb sp olive oil (I prefer cold pressed)
1litre vegetable stock or water

Method:
Place 1 can of cannellini beans and the 1 can of chopped tomatoes in a food processor bowl or (what I prefer) process with an electric handmixer and puree.
Put the puree into the slow cooker, with garlic (if using), carrot, celery, cabbage, potato, tomato paste, olive oil and stock/water. Stir to combine and then cook on High for 5 hours.
Then add remaining cannellini beans. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve with vegan parmesan cheese on top. I use "Dairy Free Parmazano grated hard cheese replacer" by 'Life free from'. You can buy this at PAWS

2 comments:

  1. THis soup sounds really scrummy, I will certainly be trying it, thanks , wishlim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that recipe. I made it today and it is yum! Lovely for lunch in the winter! :-)

    ReplyDelete