Tuesday 18 October 2011

Recipe: Lentil and spinach casserole/soup

Now, just like in the previously posted recipe, I got this one from "Livwise : easy recipes for a healthy, happy life" by Olivia Newton John.


It didn't so much turn out to be like a casserole you could serve up on rice, but rather like a soup. That may have had something to do with the amount of water I added. A bit too much. *oops*

And instead of spinach, I used steamed kale because I happened to have some on hand. I also recommend using 2 x 400g tins of brown lentils, as I found that one really wasn't enough.

This recipe marks my very first time using asafoetida. I used only half of the recommended amount in this recipe, but if you are feeling brave, go for the full amount. Until I made a new vegan friend (Hi Geoff!) who is a foodie, I had not even heard of this stuff! The great thing about it is that it added a flavour boost reminiscent of onion/chives but without the side effects I tend to suffer when trying to eat that vegetable. You can get asafoetida from Indian grocery stores and some health food shops. It is powerful stuff, so a little goes a long way.

What you will need:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt
an 8th to one quarter of a teaspoon on asafoetida powder
quarter tsp cayenne pepper or sweet paprika
4 ripe tomatoes
1-2 tbsp tomato paste
2 x 400g tin brown lentils
1 carrot, diced
2 large potatoes, diced
juice of half a small lemon
handful or two of spinach leaves or steamed kale
2 tbsp chopped parsley

Method:
Put all the ingredients into a large pot and pour in just enough water to cover the vegetables. If you want it more soup-like than casserole, add more water.
Bring to boil and then reduce heat to a medium low simmer. Cover and cook for approx 30-40mins, just so the vegetables are cooked.
Remove from heat and stir in kale or spinach, and the parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment